Saturday, October 29, 2011

Dreaming of a White...Halloween?


For those of you in my neck of the woods, I know most of you will join with me in saying, “Seriously! Snow in October!” And, it was not just a little dusting either! I love snow, but I was definitely not ready for it to come so soon. But, I have to admit I did enjoy being snowed in today. My closet finally got the cleaning that it needed, and my mountain of laundry is now down to a manageable size. We even listened to some Christmas tunes and baked our favorite cookies, peanut butter blossoms!
Often we look at snow for its beauty and for its recreational purposes; however, we do not always think about it being a precious commodity. One third of the world’s water used for irrigation comes from snow. It lies in higher elevations, and then it eventually melts in time to help in the irrigation of crops in the late spring and early summer.
As much as some of us may despise snow, we must remember God made it.  Did you know the Bible mentions snow about twenty-four times? There are lessons that we can actually learn from snow. It reminds us of God’s provision. Like snow, we have a creator, a distinct look, and a purpose.
Isaiah 55:10-11, says, “As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. “ Not only does God send the snow to carry out his purpose of providing for us, His Word does the same.
Snow can also remind us of purity. Isaiah 1:18 says, “Come now, let us reason together. Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool.” All of us have sinned; but praise the Lord we can be whiter than snow! And, this was made possible by Christ giving His life for us!
So, as we shovel out from our first snow of the season, let us remember that snow is only here for a limited time and so are we! How wonderful that day will be when Jesus returns!

No comments:

Post a Comment