Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Overcome Your Fear of Faith

Today’s post comes from Gary Wilkerson, son of the late David Wilkerson. I wanted to post this one because of what he says about missing out on certain things because we are afraid to risk the faith. Remember that God’s great power is superior to ours! We can trust that He will always make a way!

“People experience a broad spectrum of fears. Psychologists say that almost everyone has a fear of death; others fear being alone, while many are afraid of being in crowds. Public speaking is another common source of fear.

Some of us miss out on the greatest gifts in life because of fear. God wants to birth certain things in your heart and you miss out on them because you are afraid to risk the faith necessary to get involved in what God has.

A number of years ago my wife and I were living in New York City and working with Times Square Church. The Lord clearly spoke to our hearts about planting a church in London, England. It was a big risk and rather scary. We did not have many resources and knew very few people in England, but we were committed to trusting God.

A place to live in London had been made available to us but just a few weeks before we were due to leave, the plans for that home fell apart. What were we going to do?

We were scheduled to spend two weeks in South Africa leading a group on a short-term missions trip before going on to England to live. While there my wife and I stayed in the home of a South African businessman. One morning the man asked me, “Are you okay?” I responded, “I’m kind of worried about something.” Then I told him about our plan to move to London and shared that we did not have a place to live.

“I love London and, as a matter of fact, I own a house there,” the businessman shared. Then a few days later he said to me, “Here are the keys to my house. It’s yours to use whenever you need it.”

I was concerned that we were going to have to cancel our plans but God was there! A couple from New York had to go to South Africa to find a home in London. Only God can orchestrate something like that!

I believe God sets us up to do things that seem difficult at the time but wind up being a God-story. After something like that happens, you walk around with confidence and boldness in your heart, knowing that God will provide.”

No comments:

Post a Comment