Friday, December 9, 2011

I Wanted to Dropkick Her

Last night, I relived my Black Friday experience as I waited in line to get into my kids’ Christmas program (mom, I know you are chuckling about where I am going with this). A large crowd waited eagerly outside of the gym in hopes of finding seats close to the front. Now, the rule was no saving seats, so it was first-come, first-serve.

As the doors opened, the large crowd raced to their seats ignoring the well-being of those around them. As my mom and I and the kids entered a row, a lady from the row behind us quickly pulled a chair out in our row and proceeded to come up into our row.  We were down two seats. So, as we went to sit down in our remaining seats, an older woman scooted her butt in behind my son’s so she could sit down. I politely said to her that we were sitting there. To my dismay, she proceeded to tell me how rude I was, stood up, turned around, and reminded me one more time of my rudeness, and then found a seat closer to the front. All I could sarcastically say was “Merry Christmas.” And, then my blood began to boil. Do you know that feeling? And, literally, I wanted to dropkick her across the gym. A drop kick in soccer is when the goalie, instead of punting the ball down the field, let’s the ball bounce on the ground first and then proceeds to boot it down the field. Yep, I wanted to send her flying.

That’s horrible, I know. It just blew my mind as I looked around at the madness! Did I mention that it was held at a Christian school? Shouldn’t we all have been acting differently? Are we not the body of Christ? As I lay in bed last night, I began to wonder if my actions should have been different. Should I have given her our seats or was there something else I could have said instead of a sarcastic “Merry Christmas”? I knew for sure that I shouldn’t have been so angry about it, and I wished for that chance again to do it right.

Anger is not necessarily a bad thing because it is a desire for change. But spouting off at the first wrong doing is definitely not the thing to do. We should also not let anger sit and aggravate us because it can cause bigger problems down the road. James 1:19-20 says, “This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; for the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God.”

Anger is very powerful and can lead to destruction. So, how should we handle it? When we become angry, we should stop and think about why we are angry and about what it is about the situation that we wish was different. Taking this time allows us to examine ourselves. Luke 6:41-42 says, “Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take out the speck that is in your eye,' when you yourself do not see the log that is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take out the speck that is in your brother's eye.”

When we feel anger rising in us, we need to have self-control. Ever count to ten? Try it sometime because it actually works. I practice it often with my kids :). Proverbs 29:11 says, “A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control.” Sometimes we need to train ourselves. Remembering what the scriptures say about anger and about how God wants us to act in those situations can help us to be His light that shines for all to see.

As we celebrate this Christmas season, we are going to be faced with many challenges when it comes to shopping for gifts or even spending time with relatives. When issues arise that make you angry, take a step back and take a good look at the situation. Luke 6:36-38 says, “Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. Do not judge, and you will not be judged; and do not condemn, and you will not be condemned; pardon, and you will be pardoned. Give, and it will be given to you. They will pour into your lap a good measure -- pressed down, shaken together, and running over. For by your standard of measure it will be measured to you in return."

Remember to love one another…and forgive.


No comments:

Post a Comment