Thursday, November 17, 2011

Much Needed Rest

Last night, on my way home from a soccer game, I had an emotional meltdown. Call it a “feeling sorry for myself” moment. I started playing soccer when I was five, and 21 years later…ok, 27…I still enjoy playing. But, the hardest thing to face is that I am not the same player I was ten years ago. You see, I know what to do when I am out on the field, but my body no longer wants to cooperate.

That was not my only issue last night. I always tell my kids that when my bucket is full, watch out! It seems that at the moment, I have so much going on with work and family, and I am exhausted by it all. And, sometimes I feel that I am falling short on all that is expected of me. Maybe that’s not true at all but add “hormonal issues” to that, and you can see why I had the meltdown. My mind was going a mile a minute, and I just wanted to turn it off! What’s funny is that I was even thinking about this blog, and wondering how I could use that moment for one of my posts. But, as I tried to work my way through my issues last night, I could feel God saying to me, “Let me give you rest.”

There is a song called “Come Unto Me” that says, “Are the clouds above your head oh so heavy bursting with showers of despair? Do you struggle under more than you can carry? Has life given more than you can bear? Would you like to trade your failures in for victories like piles of ashes in for piles of gold? Can you fall down like a child who is helpless so He can pick you up and make you whole? He says come unto me all who are weary and I will give you rest. Bring what hurts, bring your scars, bring the load that you carry, and I will give you rest.”

Do you know that God knows every little thing about you – every burden, every worry, and every fear? Psalm 139:1 says, “O Lord, you have examined by heart and know everything about me.” When He says, “Come to Me,” He means run to no one else or anything else, but to Him. Jesus gave up everything on the cross, so that we can have rest, peace, freedom, and healing.

Come as you are and lay your burdens at the foot of the cross. The gift of rest is His gift to us!

2 comments:

  1. God's concept of rest always seems to be just beyond my reach. Is it a contentment in where I am today or the hope of a rest some day in heaven, or the sabbath rest that I should remember to 'honor' every week? or all of the above. . . I was just reading this week in Hebrews 4 (v.1-13) that talks about rest and it just seems to muddle things. . .any insight?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We enter into God's rest or salvation when we believe that our sins are forgiven by the blood of Jesus. The debt has been paid. The Israelites knew the the good news of God, but they did not benefit from it because they did not have faith. God gives us Sabbath rest, but faith in Jesus is necessary to enter into God's rest. Salvation is what I believe is God's "rest".

    When Jesus fills every area of our life, I believe we can experience that rest or peace that we emotionally and physically need when life becomes overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete